Jorge Falcón

Real name: Iglesias, Luis
Singer and composer
(15 October 1949 - 2 July 1987)
Place of birth:
Buenos Aires Argentina
Jorge Palacio (Faruk)

e struggled for life without concessions, stubbornly, hardly, never surrendering. Since an early age he began to sing and to follow the roads of tango, but his best letter of recommendation, that exposure that every singer needs to reach fame and to remain, was achieved when he performed in the Héctor Varela Orchestra.

His debut took place on October 12, 1976 and since then nobody was able to forget Jorge Falcón's figure, the handsome boy with passionate manly voice who could not hide certain shyness evidenced in his face, but his professional quality helped him to overcome the fact that he was in front of hundreds of people in a standing ovation. But like his meteoric career, death, waiting round the corner, caught him at the early age of thirty-seven.

Jorge Falcón or, more properly, Luis Iglesias, as he was really named, was born in the neighborhood of Parque Chacabuco. He passed through the ranks of groups such as Tango 5, Buenos Aires 5, the orchestras led by Jorge De Luca and Gabriel Clausi. With the latter he recorded on about ten different dates. With this orchestra and still bearing his true name he recorded, amnong others, the tango numbers: “Desecho de amor”, by Juan Vaccaro and José Fuentes; “Fue aquel beso”, also by Vaccaro with Victorio Sardi; “Para qué renegar”, by Gabriel Clausi; “Yo estoy loco por vos”, by Roberto Marano; “Arolas”, by Clausi and Mario Gomila; and the waltz, “Aquel libro”, also by Clausi with A. Guastavino.

Finally, he joined the Héctor Varela's aggregation, in which he would be definitively consecrated. The boy had his way that made the maestro love him in such a way that, beyond his professional situation, the leader was concerned about his pigeon's future. Don Héctor was not selfish and if he realized that someone had capabilities, he helped him so that he would succeed in flying by himself.

With the Héctor Varela Orchestra he recorded over 20 tracks for the Microfón label, some of them in duo with Fernando Soler and Diego Solís.

The first 1977 LP included his first billboard hit, the milonga “Azúcar, pimienta y sal” (Sugar, pepper and salt), by Tití Rossi, Héctor Varela and lyrics by Abel Aznar. Sung in duet with Soler.

His most important hits with the maestro were also: “Sabor de adiós”, “Y te parece todavía” and “Haceme cucú” in duo with Soler.

The appreciation of the leader for the singer was so warm, that people say that he fired Jorge to force his launching in the tango milieu and so he could become a recognized soloist. And in that way Falcón achieved an extraordinary public recognition.

In this new stage he recorded eight numbers accompanied by the orchestra led by Ernesto Rossi (Tití), who had been arranger and lead bandoneon for Varela, and ten with Raúl Plate's, with whom he cut, possibly, his greatest hit: "El amor desolado" by Alberto Cortez and the lyricist José Dicenta Sánchez.

In 1986, Jorge collided with his car and time later, during a show in the city of Rosario he fainted. He had to be hospitalized at a local institute. It was said that this had been the consequence of the car crash, but in fact, the collision was the result of his poor health, of the ailment that the singer was undergoing. Jorge had cancer and even though he had been treated with expensive oncological resources, a year after this illness was detected, he died at the Sanatorio de Artistas de Variedades in the neighborhood of San Telmo, in Buenos Aires.

Behind his deteriorated body, that Thursday on July 2, 1987 when Jorge's soul left this earth, remained his wife Alicia, his son Adrián and six LP's recorded with all love and devotion.

That same year Héctor Varela died, only six months later. Some people say that they shook their hands in Heaven and of common accord, they devoted themselves to throwing pepper at the heavenly angels.