Aníbal Marconi

Real name: Fernández, Aníbal
Singer and lyricist
(16 March 1937 - 24 June 2015)
Place of birth:
Ciudadela (Buenos Aires) Argentina

e was born in Ciudadela, province of Buenos Aires. He started off as an artist at age fifteen, at a contest organized by the Tango Bar of Corrientes Avenue, back in 1952. The director at the audition was the popular reciter Negro Mela. In order to be admitted he enrolled using an identity card of an adult friend of his, because minors under eighteen were not admitted as contestants. He won at several rounds but he did not turn up at the semifinals due to a health problem.

In 1954 he won the contest for singers at the now disappeared Club Crisol of Ciudadela Norte (city of the west urban area of the province bordering the city of Buenos Aires). He started his career in neighborhood clubs and festivals accompanied by the guitarists Castro and Julián.

At age twenty he wrote his first tango piece with music by Osvaldo Sobrero, which they titled “Qué tarde que es”.

In March 1959 the piece is published by Editorial Musical Julio Korn and that same year he applied for an exam to qualify as author in SADAIC (Argentine Society of Authors and Composers). He was admitted and his certificate was signed by Lito Bayardo, who was then the secretary of the organism.

In 1960 he joined the orchestra led by José Verini and Emilio Adamo, as vocalist alongside Alfredo de la Colina, first, who was the one who introduced him to the orchestra, and later alongside Carlos Torres.

They appeared on Radio Libertad at the auditorium of the radio station for two months on Saturdays at 8:30 pm.

With that aggregation he gigged all the Buenos Aires dancehalls: Monumental de Palermo, Monumental de Flores, Salón La Argentina, El Palacio del Baile, Dominó and many others. He made many tours throughout the cities of the Great Buenos Aires.

In the late 1962, partly due to low budget and partly because of the fall in popularity of tango music in comparison with other foreign music styles, the orchestra disbanded.

One year later, sporadically he appeared accompanied by the guitarists Castro and Julián at locals that still resisted as tango venues. His last performance took place at the tearoom of the Hurlingham Hotel in Mar del Plata (seaside resort placed 400 km south of Buenos Aires).

An ailment forced him to withdraw from singing but not from tango, because he returned to his vocation for lyric-writing. So he filed several numbers: “Bebiendo para olvidar” with his own music, “Muñeca de quince años”, “Porque más no puedo dar”, “Se llama Vos Tango”, all them with music by the singer Enrique Lear and “Equivocado pero por qué” with music by Pocho Corsaro and Quique Ojeda. The latter succeeded in recording their songs by means of several singers.