Alberto Marcó

Real name: Taverna, José Alberto
(8 December 1940 - 8 December 2005)
Place of birth:
Buenos Aires Argentina
Néstor Pinsón

e was born in the neighborhood of Caballito of the city of Buenos Aires. Son of the musician Carmelo Taverna, from a young age he studied acting. One of his teachers was Pedro Escudero, and almost at the same time he studied singing.

Firstly he approached independent theater, later the traditional casts arrived, like the Leonor Rinaldi’s company. Thereafter he furthered his studies on acting with Ricardo Passano and with Daniel de Alvarado. He appeared in romance novels illustrated with photos which were published in magazines and on many television programs.

In 1961 he was awarded as revelation of the year because of his outstanding performance at a season of Spanish comedies which was aired on Radio del Estado.

He was going towards tango in 1960, when he sang with the Jorge Caldara orchestra. Two years later he joined the one led by Carlos Figari, as substitute for Enrique Dumas. He was summoned by Mariano Mores for some appearances like the carnival balls at the Club San Lorenzo in 1963.

Without putting aside his appearances on television, in programs with a certain musical bias in which it was necessary to include a tango, his good looks were an added attraction. He was never a classic orchestra singer, possibly because his supposed role as actor interfered with the singer’s role.

Some of the programs in which he appeared were: Todo es amor (1965); Sábados continuados (1965); La revista del Dringue (1969) with the comic actor Dringue Farías, Beba Bidart and Jovita Luna, among others; Ese mundo de Discépolo (1970), in which the Enrique Santos Discépolo’s life was portrayed; Grandes valores del tango (1978), emceed by Silvio Soldán.

He started as soloist in 1964, with a long-playing record, accompanied by a group led by Lito Scarso. In 1965 he was member of the cast in a theatrical play staged at the Teatro Cómico (now Lola Membrives) and in another at the Teatro San Martín.

Time later, there was another record released, this time with a group put together for the occasion and led by Juan José Paz.

He married María Cristina Laurenz, daughter of the famous orchestra leader and composer Pedro Laurenz, with whom he had a son but they later separated.

In 1974 he embarked on a tour of countries of the Far East which lasted several months. He was in Japan, China, Taiwan and Malaysia, and he was also in Spain and South America. His songbook included classic pieces: “Los mareados”, “Tabaco”, “Tinta roja”, “Yuyo verde”, “Nada”, and also “Balada para un loco” and other songs which were not widespread.

It seems that Marcó was unable to handle his career, he did not succeed in emphasizing some of his skills. Nor was he able to find a style as singer. He did not take advantage of the power of his voice and, little by little, he was turning into an almost quite romantic overacted speaker.

His mannerisms as actor, watched in some video, did not favor him and they might have been the reason of his gradual ostracism. The magazines which gossip about the show business milieu informed that he did not keep a relationship with his son based in Spain. Furthermore they published some stories about his affairs with artists of a minor level, in some cases, somewhat exotic. For example, that he married with a Chinese citizen named Penny Liu in that far distant country and, later, with a dancer and circus contortionist named Cristina.

In 1993 he released a cassette Siempre Tango, recorded in Chile, with arrangements and musical direction by Salvador Grecco. All the pieces of that volume belong to the Chilean creator Orison Moya. Later they launched the CD’s Entre tangos y boleros Vol. 1 and Íntimo y pasional.

In his last stage he teamed up with Claudia Toscano with whom he presented the shows Amores de tango and Algo contigo and he used to appear on Saturdays at the L'Aiglon bar, on Callao and Bartolomé Mitre. He also appeared in the tango program emceed by Silvio Soldán on TV Channel 26.

His death was mentioned in some media. On his sixty-fifth birthday, barefooted in his house on Thames Street, while he was repairing an electrical device which he had not disconnected, a strong electrical discharge electrocuted him.